Saturday, August 14, 2010

Book Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

  The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Prodigal Son

A Dangerous Love

A Deadly Secret
 

Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood. 

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother. 

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul. 
From the inside cover of ISBN 1606840576 / 9781606840573


Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVE this cover. It is gorgeous, and the Lost Saint is just as beautiful. I was so happy the book was such a great read. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down and read it in one day. Thank goodness for airplanes!!

What I liked: I liked the fact that the background of the Divines was something original. There aren't many (this is the first I've read, so I'm not sure there are any) books with both a Pastor's kid and paranormal creatures. I also really liked the way Bree describes the pictures that both Daniel and Grace draw. I felt like I was sitting right next to them drawing. Daniel falls under the like category. He was sweet, but I would have liked to get more of him.

What I loved: This is one of the few books that I actually love the female character. Grace started out seeming weak, but by the end I loved her forcefulness with Daniel and her father. I was glad she had a breakdown, but then came back and took charge. The development of the story and the continued tension from start to finish was fantastic. Bree's writing kept me wanting more. Jude and Daniel were both great characters in my opinion. It's not that I loved Jude, but I loved the fact that Bree gave us a reason to not like him. Before the conclusion I felt like he was too perfect and started disliking his character. At the end though, I really fell in love with Jude. He finally became real to me.

I would recommend this to anyone interested in a different take on paranormal. There is a little romance,lots of tension, and just enough left out to leave you wanting more.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.