Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Review: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

  The Eternal OnesThe Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was. 

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.


I bought this book with no clue as to what it was about and without reading any reviews. It was one of the first books in a while I read without some kind of previous knowledge of it.

What I liked: I liked Beau. He was a funny, supportive, honest guy. The plot itself was ok, but I just read another book about reincarnation and felt like there was some repetition. That being said it was very well written, and although there were similarities this one held much more mystery, which I enjoyed. I liked Haven, but I kind of thought she was a pain too. There were times I wished she would just get over herself and move forward.

What I loved: I loved the way the story unfolded. Usually I'm not a fan of back and forth. The he lied, no she lied gets old quick. In this book, though, that didn't happen. I wanted to believe almost everyone Haven talked to and was really upset with some of the lies she was told. The descriptions of New York and Rome were simple and gratifying. I felt like I was actually sitting on the balcony watching the sunset in Rome.


Who I would recommend this book to: If you are looking for something different than paranormal creatures, the reincarnation aspect of this book is great. There are a few religious mentions and tie-ins, but it's not overwhelming. If you do read this book, expect the first part to take a little time to get through. It's worth it in the end though.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.