Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Book Review: Numb by Sean Ferrell

NumbNumb by Sean Ferrell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Numb, a man who feels no pain and has no memory of how he came to be this way, travels to New York City after a short stint in the circus to search for the answers to his past. But when word of his condition spreads—sparked by the attention he attracts from letting people nail his hands to bars for money—he quickly finds himself hounded on all sides by those who would use his unique ability in their own pursuits of fame and fortune. There’s the best friend who doesn’t quite know how to handle Numb’s newfound celebrity, the savvy talent agent who may or may not have Numb’s best interests in mind, the sadistic supermodel whose idea of a good time involves lion claws and can openers, and the blind girlfriend who might actually see something in Numb others don’t. As Numb navigates this strange world, and as he continues to search for clues from his past, he is forced to confront one of life’s toughest questions: Who am I?
I wasn't sure about this book when I first started reading it. But it didn't take long before I was sucked in and couldn't put the book down.


Numb doesn't feel anything. He doesn't feel pain and he can't remember much of anything about his past. What he does remember starts at the circus he wandered into bruised and bleeding. After deciding to leave the circus Numb heads to New York to try and find his past.


What I liked: I liked the way Ferrell uses Numbs friends and acquaintances to tell parts of Numb's story. It's not always about what he is seeing. There were times that those closest to him did a better job showing the reader what was going on.


What I loved: This book made me think, but it wasn't as stressful as I would have expected. There isn't a huge cliffhanger in the middle that sends you plummeting down the roller coaster at the end. The book keeps you reading and wanting more from beginning to end. Hiko was such an integral part of Numb's story. I loved her way of seeing the world and learning her surroundings. This wasn't about love, or excitement, or a mystery. It was about figuring out who you are right now. Not who you were in the past or who you will be in the future.


What I would have liked to have seen: I liked Karen and Mal. I wish there would have been more from both of them. I think to an extent this book was as much about Numb as it was Mal. He, just like Numb, needed to find out who he was.


I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to see the world from another view. There are so many things to learn from Numb and Ferrell's writing was captivating. The descriptions weren't overly flowery, but done with precision so you felt like you weren't just in New York, but in Hiko's house or the hotels.


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. What an intriguing concept. I think I'd be uneasy about reading it, but great review! Makes me think I'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed. There was nothing about it that really struck me as something I would want to read, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds different and really interesting. Great review Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    If you want to read something out of the ordinary...this is a great book!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.