Monday, August 2, 2010

Book Review: Split by Swati Avasthi


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Sixteen-Year-Old Jace Witherspoon arrives at the doorstep of his estranged brother Christian with a re-landscaped face (courtesy of his father’s fist), $3.84, and a secret.
He tries to move on, going for new friends, a new school, and a new job, but all his changes can’t make him forget what he left behind—his mother, who is still trapped with his dad, and his ex-girlfriend, who is keeping his secret.
At least so far.
Worst of all, Jace realizes that if he really wants to move forward, he may first have to do what scares him most: He may have to go back. First-time novelist Swati Avasthi has created a riveting and remarkably nuanced portrait of what happens after. After you’ve said enough, after you’ve run, after you’ve made the split — how do you begin to live again? Readers won’t be able to put this intense page-turner down

I bought Split for the cover. That's truly the only reason. I read the blurb on the jacket and didn't think I would like it, but I really liked the cover so I bought it anyway. My prediction of not liking the book was WAY wrong. I LOVED this book. It's one of the best books I've read this year. 

Told from a completely male POV Split does what few can do, it gets in the mind of guys and helps you understand them a little more. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Jace. Even though he's the one recovering and learning how to live life without violence. I preferred his brother Christian. There was something about the way he was both scared and confident at the same time. At times I empathized with Christian more than Jace. I never felt like Jace was unrealistic or didn't have cause for his feelings, I just admired how well Christian was able to mentor his younger brother at such a young age. 

Christian's girlfriend was a little annoying too, but I enjoyed Jace's snarky attitude towards her. Her persistence paid off and makes a world of difference in Jace's ability to deal with the abuse from his father. 

My second favorite character is Dakota. She doesn't let Jace get away with anything. I think her no nonsense attitude towards Jace helps him face his fears. She is a perfect complement to him. 

This is certainly not a book I would recommend to just anyone. It is a topic that younger readers may not be able to handle or fully understand. However, for those that can this is a very moving book. Even  if you've never dealt with abuse Swati did a fantastic job giving you just a small insight to what someone goes through. It's a real book that will play on your heartstrings, but it's worth every tear shed and every chuckle heard.


2 comments:

  1. This is on my bookshelf I must move it up the list :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite book so far this year. It is a tough read but surprisingly funny also.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.