Sunday, August 15, 2010

How do you write? -- Sunday Somethings

So I'm working on my next work in progress and I constantly find myself editing while I write. I'll get a thousand or so words written then go back and reread from page one and usually make some changes. I've talked to others that write their first draft then go through and rewrite it nearly completely for the 2nd draft.
I also don't use outlines. I've tried that, and all it did was make me want to get going faster. So, I usually take a day or two to get some ideas down and a few details that come to mind - those usually end up on a napkin rather than paper - then I sit down and start typing.

Now I'm curious...how do you write? Do you write and edit at the same time? Do you outline? Do you have another way you've invented?

2 comments:

  1. Your napkin is like a skeletal outline. That's kind of how I do it. I also carry index cards with me. When and idea for a scene hits me, I jot it down in less than two sentences, what type of scene it should be, and whose POV it's from. That's actually what I'm doing now with my new WIP. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get something like index cards. Then I will be less likely to lose things. :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.