Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

The Lipstick LawsThe Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.   For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.   But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?
I received this from Net Galley for an honest review. I requested this book because I liked the cover and I hoped for a different type of contemporary book. I have to say I was a little disappointed that it wasn't all that different. There wasn't a triangle which was nice, and what I expected to happen at the end didn't, so I was happy about that. However, from very early on it was too similar to Mean Girls for me. Although there are some twists and turns that were nothing like Mean Girls, the overall feel was too similar for me to really fall in love with the book.

What I liked: I liked that she got the guy. I won't say which guy, but there are a couple of guys April has the chance to get and I was happy with the end result. It was an easy read for me, it only took a couple of hours which was refreshing. Also, it wasn't stressful. I picked this up after reading a couple of books that had stressed me out from emotional ups and downs. This one was a welcomed relief.

What I loved: The humor in the book was good. It was subtle and not overdone.


Would I recommend: I would recommend it to some of my friends' daughters. I'd say anyone 10-13 would enjoy this book.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure I'll still be picking this one up. Thanks for an honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer - this is the second similar review I read today. Since it's on Netgalley though I might still give it a go for a day that I want a quick light read. Maybe knowing that going in I'll like it a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen: For a quick light-hearted read this isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.