Sunday, January 16, 2011

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver



My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?


I read this ARC for a book tour hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth.  Overall this book wasn't too bad. I was surprised by the premise. Riley is a demon trapper (which is different than a demon hunter) and is just beginning as an apprentice. I was hooked after the first couple of chapters, but the intensity didn't keep up throughout the whole book. Once all the characters were introduced it wasn't too difficult to lay out the some of the major plots, and I have to admit one of the turning points wasn't really a surprise to me. There is a kind of love triangle starting out, I say kind of because the 3rd leg of the triangle doesn't want to say anything to Riley. One of my hopes is that the next book has a little more focus on the actual trapping. The book is told in third person from Riley and  Beck's point of view. Jana did a good job getting into the heads of both Beck and Riley.


What I liked: The idea of the demon trappers. It's a fresher look because they aren't killing the demons, only trapping them. Although, I have a feeling the distinction will make a big difference in future books. The world Jana builds in Atlanta is pretty good.


What I loved: My favorite character so far is Beck. He's full of smart ass quips, can be a jerk to Riley, and loves her father like he was his own. But I loved him. In my opinion he was the life of this book. Without Beck I don't think the story would have been as good as it was.


Will I recommend? Yes, but I think I'd recommend that readers wait for at least the second book to come out with hopes that the 2nd book answers some of those unanswered questions. It was a quick read for sure.

Preorder at Amazon  Available Feb 1, 2011

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this book to be released !! Thanks for your review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of what I thought it would be like and why I haven't read it yet :-)
    Great review Jen. I will set up the links for the tours this week on my blog

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.