Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Review: FLASH BURNOUT by L.K.Madigan

Click.
Telephoto lens. Zoom. In a shutter release millisecond, Blake’s world turns upside down. The nameless woman with the snake tattoo is not just another assignment. “That’s my mom!” gasps Marissa.
Click.
Saturated self-portrait: Blake, nice guy, class clown, always trying to get a laugh, not sure where to focus.
Click.
Contrast. Shannon, Blake’s GF. Total. Babe. Marissa, just a friend and fellow photographer. Shannon loves him; Marissa needs him. How is he supposed to frame them both in one shot?
Click.
Chiaroscuro. Lightdark. Marissa again, overexposed. Crash and burn.
Talk about negative space.
Click
5 out of 5 stars

WOW! That's the only word I can use to describe this book and it doesn't even begin to do it justice. I borrowed this book from a friend and it left me speechless. It's not an over the top wow you from the minute with fights and mystery and romance. Nope, it's a wow this is real and emotional and I can't believe he did that book. 

Yep there's romance. And it's not even a triangle. Well, I guess it could be, but I never really felt like it was a love triangle. Blake is fifteen and dating Shannon, who he describes as a babe. Even though Madigan hits the nail on the head with Blake's voice it didn't feel like I was reading about a fifteen year old. L.K. Madigan gets into his head and very eloquently shows us how a guy thinks. It's authors like this that make me love the boy point of view. 

Blake's passion is photography. This isn't something I'm familiar with from a technical point of view, so I was a little concerned I wouldn't understand all the terms. But I did and the photography aspect ties in so well with the rest of the book. Especially when it comes to Marissa, Blake's best friend. She lives a very complicated life and Blake wants to help her however he can. 

The twists L.K. Madigan threw in were a little surprising, but kind of expected. What surprised me was the way everything played out. It's not wrapped up and tied with a neat little bow. I guarantee the ending will leave you wanting more, and satisfied at the same time.  

I must say when the book world lost L.K. Madigan to cancer it lost an amazing writer that would have made a huge difference in the lives of many. I believe with this book alone she left her mark on readers in the best way possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.