Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Chase Brothers Series by Lauren Dane


I went back and forth for a while on whether or not I wanted to read these books. I've seen Lauren Dane's name around the blogosphere, but didn't know anyone that had read the books and raved about them. The people I talked to said they weren't bad. Finally, a friend of mine had them on her Nook and lent them to me. I've got to say, I'm quite happy I did. The series is a great romance series. There's a lot of love, happiness, and tears.

My favorite character in all 4 books is Polly Chase (the mother of all mothers!). She's spunky, direct, and loving all at once. If it weren't for her these books wouldn't be the same.

Giving Chase (Book 1): In this book we meet Shane, Kyle, and Maggie. Shane and Kyle are the two oldest Chase Brothers.Maggie is being stalked, and Kyle's the one that's there for her. One of my favorite things about this book is that it starts out with Maggie and Shane, but doesn't end that way. I didn't think I'd like that, but we get to see more of Maggie that way. Not only is she the free spirited, no tie down girl for Shane, but in the end she's the sweet, loving girl that Kyle's wanted from the beginning. Also, having both guys in this first book gives us a heads up to who Shane is and his past. There were a couple of times I thought the story could have wrapped up sooner, but overall it wasn't bad. 3 out of 5 stars

Taking Chase (Book 2): This is Shane's book. And boy is it hot. Shane and Cassie make the perfect couple. They are both strong willed and don't want to back down to each other. Being the sheriff Shane feels responsible for every one in town. To Cassie, being a newcomer hiding from her insane ex, this is too much. It's not that she doesn't want to be protected, but she wants room to breather and Shane's not keen on giving her much room. I love the back and forth between Cassie and Shane. It's a perfect combination of fire and ice. 3 out of 5 stars

Chased (Book 3): Marc and Liv are probably my favorite. Liv's been around the Chase family for a while, and she's the most boisterous of all the women. Similar to Maggie, Marc isn't the first Chase brother that Liv has dated. Matt was and he left a bad taste in her mouth. Thanks to their lack of spark Liv isn't sure how much she trusts Marc and is very hesitant throughout the book. She doesn't want her heart broken by a second Chase, and I can't blame her. What I really love about this book is the emotional side of Liv we get to see. She's in all of the other books, but we only get to see her snarky, humorous side. In Chased we see so much more than that. This one is all about the love and getting into someone's soul. 3.5 out of 5 stars

Making Chase (Book 4): The final book in the series. As always, it's a bittersweet ending. In some ways there was almost too much, and I felt like we missed out on some of the development of the story between Matt and Tate because Dane was trying to tie up all lose ends. Tate has a very difficult past. I really thought there could have been more for her and Matt to overcome with this. Matt still has the most uphill battle of any of the Chase brothers and I was happy with the way he and Tate worked through everything. 3 out of 5 stars