Saturday, December 31, 2011

Blog Tour Review: LOVE AND LEFTOVERS by Sarah Tregay

My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love.

If only it were that easy.

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer—from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She’s left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this “summer vacation” has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you’ve watched your parents’ affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you’ve lost it?

Love & Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.

I received this for the blog tour hosted by The {Teen} Book Scene. When I first received the book I didn't realize it was written in verse. The only author I've read that writes in verse and enjoyed is Lisa Schroeder, so I was a little nervous. Those nerves were unfounded though. I can now add Sarah Tregay as an author I will read. This was executed wonderfully.

This isn't quite as lyrical as I would have expected, but that's a good thing because the characters wouldn't have been the same. Marcie's having a really crappy time with the divorce of her parents and moving away from her friends. I liked that Sarah didn't work that angle too much. You feel the pain, frustration, and anger that Marcie feels. But not to the point that you are reading it going okay when will we move on.

Marcie has a boyfriend that she leaves behind when she and her mom move, and then JD enters the picture.  I wanted Marcie to be happy but the idea of the love triangle made me cringe. I won't tell you what happens because I really think you need to read the book, but I will tell you that the love triangle is NOT a problem. There are many lessons to be learned when JD arrives.

He's a nice guy, a rather good looking guy, and he likes Marcie. But the problem isn't only with her current boyfriend back in Idaho. Friction also arises between Marcie and her best friend because secrets never fare well between friends. I was surprised by one revelation, and I kind of wish things would have been tied up a little better in the end, but that would be the only thing I'd say about the book that I wanted to know more about.

This was a pretty quick read, and although the story wasn't uncommon or something you'd never think of it was very well written. More than once I thought "yep, been there done that glad to see someone else feels the same way". I'd kind of think of this as a comfort food book, for lack of a better term. One of those where a lot of things really hit home and the happiness you feel at the end carries with you.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of it being a comfort food book. I always enjoy a book that stays with you long after you read it, as long as it stays with you for being good and not bad.

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.