Friday, January 6, 2012

Blog Tour Review: CRACKED by K.M.Walton

Sometimes there's no easy way out.

Victor hates his life. He has no friends, gets beaten up at school, and his parents are always criticizing him. Tired of feeling miserable, Victor takes a bottle of his mother's sleeping pills—only to wake up in the hospital.

Bull is angry, and takes all of his rage out on Victor. That makes him feel better, at least a little. But it doesn't stop Bull's grandfather from getting drunk and hitting him. So Bull tries to defend himself with a loaded gun.

When Victor and Bull end up as roommates in the same psych ward, there's no way to escape each other or their problems. Which means things are going to get worse—much worse—before they get better….

I had the opportunity to read CRACKED as part of the blog tour hosted by {The} Teen Book Scene. You can follow the rest of the tour here.

This is a book about bullying, family, friends, and the importance of feeling like there's someone that loves you enough to care about you, protect you, and give you what you need.  Both Bull and Victor are looking for that someone, but they have VERY different lives. Victor is the quiet, hide in a corner to be invisible guy. Bull is the bully, always causing trouble with fights and humiliating Victor.

The most amazing thing with this book to me was that I didn't connect with the character I thought I would. It's a book about bullying, so I thought I'd connect with Victor more than Bull. Boy was I wrong. From almost the first time we met Bull he's the one my heart went out to. K.M. Walton did such a fantastic job at showing the other side of bullying. She demonstrated the behind-the-scenes of a bully.

When it came to Bull I wanted to reach out and hug him and never let go. Because I want you to read this book I'm not going to tell you much about what happens with Bull at home or once he gets to the hospital. I will tell you that things are both expected and unexpected in good ways.

Another aspect of this book that I loved was the realism to the story. So many times in fiction with a story like this the acceptance and turn around is quick. Really quick. We all want a happy or hopeful ending, and you'll get that in this book. But you won't read about how in the first day of being in the psych hospital that these two boys reconcile and become best friends. In fact, as I read I wondered if they would ever reconcile. K.M. Walton definitely took the truthful, not so pretty, approach to playing out the story and I love that.

In the end these boys find the love they were looking for. They find that someone to love them, care for them, and make sure they have what they need. You won't find unicorns and rainbows here, but you will find two boys that you can connect with and care about their life. This is a MUST READ book, especially for those of you who like real books told from a boy pov. And yeah...there's a little romance in it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.