Thursday, February 16, 2012

Blog Tour Review: DOUBLE CLUTCH by Liz Reinhardt

What happens when you fall in love with the perfect guy...twice...in one day?
Brenna Blixen spent her freshman year homeschooling in Denmark; now that she's back in the States, she's determined to make her sophomore year unforgettable. And by unforgettable, she imagined awesome classes, fun friendships, and maybe a little romance.
What she got was a whole lot of romance, and all at once.
The same day that dark, brooding Saxon Maclean charmed her with his killer good looks and whip-smart wit, Jake Kelly stole her breath away with his heart-wrenching smile and intelligent, thoughtful focus.
But Saxon is a proud player who makes it clear that he doesn't know why he can't get Brenna off of his mind and out of his system, and Jake's sweet and humble attitude hides a secret past life that might be more darker and more complex than Brenna's willing to handle.
Complicating the matter is the fact that Saxon and Jake were once best friends and are now arch-enemies...and the more Brenna finds out about their connection to each other, the more intrigued and worried she becomes.
Between keeping the peace with her lovingly over-protective parents, designing t-shirts for her high school's rising punk band, keeping up her grades in both academic and technical high school, and running the track like a maniac, Brenna has enough to worry about with out juggling two guys who make her heart thud and drive her crazy all at once.
She has to make a choice. But how can she when giving her heart to one of them might mean breaking the other's?

I received an ebook for review during the blog tour hosted by The {Teen} Book Scene.

I.Love.This.Book. Seriously, this book has everything. Hot boys. CHECK times two. Strong female character. CHECK. A triangle that works. CHECK (more about that in a minute). Humor. CHECK. The synopsis is good, but in my opinion it doesn't do this book justice. It's so much more than meeting two perfect guys the same day. It is a great representation of what it's like to be a teen in  high school and trying to figure out how to make it day to day with guys, classwork, finding something you love, and making/keeping friends.

Let's talk love triangles. If you've been around my blog for a while you know how little I like love triangles. This time though it worked. Really I think it worked because it wasn't actually a love triangle. Yes, Brenna likes one of the two boys who have vocally made it known they have the hots for her. BUT she loves the other. The indecision she has happens very early on, and although she waivers a couple of times throughout there aren't any "real" indiscretions in my opinion. Liz Reinhardt painted a picture of what it's like to have attention from more than one guy. Brenna isn't perfect she makes mistakes, then again Jake nor Saxon are perfect either. So it works.

As for Brenna, Saxon, and Jake. All three characters are well written. Each one is different, but they have similarities that make them work together. There isn't one I'd pick over the other when it comes to the guys. Yeah, Saxon is an ass--but it's a lot of show. And Jake has a past, but he's trying to do things right now even if he screws up occasionally. Mostly I loved these guys because they were real teens doing what teens do, making mistakes teens make. You won't find a head cheerleader in this book (okay maybe but only in mention) and you won't find the star quarterback. What you'll find are teens who are enjoying life and learning how to grow up by making mistakes.

On a side note I have to say this is one of the few books where the parent's aren't overdone. Brenna's parents care about her and yeah her mom's a little protective, but being a mom of a girl who's already growing up too quickly I totally get it. Brenna appreciates her parents, loves them for who they are. Jake's dad isn't perfect, but he's not necessarily neglectful. It was refreshing and I'd like to thank Liz Reinhardt for writing parents that care and aren't one extreme or the other.

I would absolutely recommend this book. It is a fantastic YA contemporary read. I'm headed off to find the next one. If anyone can tell me where to buy it, I'd appreciate it!

7 comments:

  1. Jen, thank you so much for your awesome review! I LOVE the way you described the book and the highlights you pointed out ;)! You can pick up *Junk Miles* on Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords! Thank you again for your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I just read this book and fell in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review! I loved this book, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn & Caryn - Thank you both!! You're too sweet ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up on where I can find Junk Miles!! I'm going to get it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried reading YA contemporary yet tho. I'm still getting acquainted with dystopians and steampunk I'm beginning to find some fascination. I'll keep this book in mind. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a confession to make. I am guilty of the old habit of judging a book by its cover. I don't even remember signing up for this blog tour. But I went through it anyway, and boy was I glad I did!!!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.