Monday, February 20, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions


Book Blogger Confessions is hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Tiger at Tiger's All Consuming Media.

This week's question: Social networking with authors: Do you interact on Twitter/Facebook/etc with authors? Does it affect how you review their work or do you look at their books differently because you're on friendly terms with them?


I do interact with authors--primarily through Twitter, but there are a couple on Facebook. The longer I'm on Twitter the more authors I find and interact with. I don't know if it's good or bad, but it does effect how I review their work. The more authors I interact with the more cautious I am about what I say when I'm reading their books. A while ago I changed the way I post reviews and now only review books I really enjoyed reading (with a few exceptions). So I try not to comment on a book via Twitter or Facebook if I'm not going to review it. Part of this change was because I found myself interacting more with authors. As an aspiring author I put myself in their shoes and decided this was the best course of action.

 However, I recognize that just because I don't necessarily care for a book doesn't mean everyone won't. For those authors that I'm on friendly terms with I will promote the heck out of the book(s) and encourage others to give them a try. Also, with an author that I interact with regularly via social media I will at least attempt to read anything they write. If I liked their books once there's a fairly good chance I'll like another, so I figure why not give it a shot!



7 comments:

  1. This is a tricky matter. There are a few authors I interact with on Twitter as well and I feel bad when I don't really like their book (or really have no interest in reading it). This has happened to me once or twice. I think it's ok not to like their book, but if you're going to share that it wasn't for you, you need to explain why and share what did work for you.

    That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write as well as review and do agree that it can be a thin line to walk. However, I mostly choose what I want to read and if I think something is not up my street or I can't find anything positive to say about a book, then I won't post a review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree its tricky with authors and friending them. I give my experience in the my thoughts ...yes its tricky fine line. :) I have stopped friending authors on good reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a difficult line to toe! I love chatting with authors, but I always fear I won't enjoy their book when I read it, and then I worry about the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me the worst scenario is when I've loved three or four books by an author so you interact with them - tweet how excited you are to read the next book and then.....eep! I hate it. I post my review but very subtly. Like I might not ever promote it & maybe on a Sunday lol Luckily it hasn't happened very often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would feel the same way too and I hope I won't encounter that. I hope deep down, I'll be able to find diplomatic words when starting to review a book that I feel lukewarm about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a very fine line. I agree with Karen...the hardest is when you are three or four books in and you find you don't like the books.

    Thanks everyone for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.