Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: SHINE by Jeri Smith-Ready

In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.

I received this book from the author not for a review, but for enjoyment. Now I'm going to share my rambling thoughts about the book with you (haha). As soon as I read the last word on the last page I immediately began formulating the review I'd write for this book. Unfortunately, I came up with nothing. Not because the book wasn't good or I didn't like the ending. Nope...I was speechless in a good way. This book left me without words strong enough to truly convey the emotion, the story, and the finale to one of the best YA series available. 

I want to say so much, but at the same time I have nothing at all. To add to my conundrum on how to write this review I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read the books yet. Which by the way, if you haven't---you are truly missing out. Oh and my apologies to Jeri and anyone who saw a tweet from me shortly after I finished reading that may have been misleading. It wasn't intended that way at all. :) But I digress. SHINE is a fantastic example of how a series (or trilogy) should end. There's mystery, tension (both romantic and just plain 'ol tension), and answers. I'm fairly certain when I finished reading I was fulfilled, not a single question remained in my head. AND I was able to visualize the rest of the characters' lives the way I wanted to. I will miss Aura, Zachary, Logan, and Dylan. And let us not forget the newcomer on the scene Martin. I couldn't be more excited about SHATTERED, especially knowing Martin will be around quite a bit (from what I understand).

Zachary will forever remain my favorite character of this trilogy. In SHINE he continues to change and grow. My heart broke a little for what he was subjected to, but in the end he does get his HEA. I'm not going to tell you exactly how because that wouldn't be fair. But trust me when I say everything will be fine.

Dylan. Aww Dylan, how you pushed your way into my heart as well. Not too far into SHINE I sent Lynn a text asking if Dylan got his HEA. She assured me he did, and I've got to say while I figured out the possibility of what it would be I was soooo happy with how things turned out.

Logan. I admit I wasn't always a Logan fan. Not like Brooke or Karen. But in SHIFT Logan changed into a character I couldn't forget and that carried through to SHINE. I was glad to see that he was not forgotten in the final chapter. So those of you who love Logan to the core, well you'll be happy with that conclusion as well.

Aura. Some say that SHINE is Aura's book, and I believe I agree. We see so much growth and transformation in Aura. One of my favorite lines is when she explains that she will always love Logan, but will always be in love with Zachary. To me that was the pinnacle of her journey. When she was finally able to accept the past and move forward with the future.

You'll meet a new character in SHINE. Martin--Zachary's best mate. He's amazing from the word "Go" and I can't wait to read more about him in SHATTERED.

And because this wouldn't be the trilogy that is without the author behind it, I want to say thanks to Jeri.  Thank you for sharing your story with all of us, it never fails to amaze me how characters in a book can become so real. You are by far one of the best authors I've read when it comes to bringing a world alive and out of fantasy. Thanks for the tears, the laughter, and the chance to escape into a world full of entertainment whether it be between the cover of a book or in 140 characters on Twitter. I can't wait to read your books for years to come!!

Preorder SHINE from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or a signed copy from Constellation Books

1 comment:

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.