Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

Courtesy of watching his mom’s relationships, Sebastian Hawkins knows what girls need to do to get a guy. He has what he considers a PHD in hooking up. When he needs extra cash for a car, Sebastian starts up an online venture as The Hook-up Doctor, to anonymously help girls land the guy of their dreams. Of course, his services don’t offer a happily-ever-after guarantee. He’s seen firsthand getting together never means staying together.

And then he falls in love…

With the last girl he would expect…

Totally not in his game plan.

Suddenly, Sebastian finds himself muddled in the game he’s always prided himself on. He can’t even pick up girls at parties anymore! Why would anyone want to be in love when it turns you into a stuttering, screwed-up, mess with really lame stalker tendencies? Stalking? Totally not his gig.
But the Hook-up Doctor won’t let himself go down easily. He’s always known how to give a girl what she wants and now it’s time to figure out what a boy wants… and he definitely plans on getting it.



I started this review yesterday, but for the life of me I couldn't find a way to put this book into words. I want to do it justice so here goes. First, I'm going to state the obvious--the cover for this book is PERFECT. Sebastian is EXACTLY like the cover.  

Second, this is a boy point of view, and Nyrae nailed the voice. Sebastian is charming and he knows it. The ego this boy has is enormous, but it fits his character. While that sounds like he'd be a jerk, let me tell you he isn't. He takes care of those closest to him without question. This is what made me fall in love with Sebastian. On the outside he's cocky, egotistical, and a troublemaker. But look deeper and you'll find a teen who's scared, confused, and sweet as chocolate covered strawberries. 

Aspen, Jaden, and Pris round out this perfect group of friends. Each of them play off the others adding to the dynamic. They will make you wish you were a part of the group by the end of the book. I love the relationship build up between Aspen and Sebastian. Just a heads up, this story will not play out like you expect. I thought I had it figured out then BAM there was a curve ball and it hit me in the gut! I've already begged Nyrae for Jaden's book because that boy has one heck of a story to tell. 

When you read this, and you must read it, you'll smile, laugh, and maybe even cry. There's a point when you may want to scream and chuck your e-reader at the wall but I promise there is a happy ending. Just keep reading!! 
 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!! So glad you enjoyed it.

    I'm a few chapters into Jaden's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so so much! I'm hoping male POV's are the new trend. I can't get enough. I'm dying for Jaden's story too. Just can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaden definitely needs a story!
    Thanks for recommending this one to me Jen. i think I read it in 5-6 hours. So cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, it does sound good but I have so many books on my TBR list now I won't get to them until July.

    The Hook-Up doctor, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh well if he's like the cover, I like Sebastian!! haha. This sounds awesome why haven't I see this before? I totally like the sounds of it and male POVs are always awesome. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate covered strawberries! Perfect description of Bastian! Great review and certainly is a MUST read!

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes my day better...go ahead leave one. I'll comment back!

This blog is an award free zone. I love and appreciate the awards, but I'm unable to pass them on and share the love like I'd like to.